Thank you for looking up “Embedded Software for the IoT”. The first and second editions have been taken off the market as of 2018-09-12. The reason is that there will soon be a third edition published by De Gruyter. It will be available in paperback as well as various e-books. It is expected to be on the market in December.
Cover and description to be found here ASAP.
Click here to download a PDF with the introduction from the second edition. The PDF also contains Preface as well as Tables of Contents, Figures and Tables. Alternatively, see the Table of Contents here at this site with selected figures. You can also go to Amazon via the links in the top-menu and try “Look Inside”.
The Author page describes the main embedded systems that I have worked with over more than 30 years in the business, while the Blog pages are digging into subjects that generally extend the book.
If you can read danish, you may want to read the article in Ingeniøren & Version2’s JobFinder about the book here.
See links to Amazon for this book at the bottom of this page.
Why “Embedded Software for the IoT”?
Even though you know a lot about programming, embedded systems has extra challenges. When focusing on IoT devices, network knowledge is key – no matter whether you go for Ethernet, WiFi, LORA or some of the other choices. Furthermore, many developers will need some basic knowledge on Digital Signal Processing, as many IoT-devices act on digitized signals. And then there’s the large area of CPU’s and Real-Time Operating Systems. These dictate resource-constraints that you don’t find in PC’s, as well as some important architectural considerations.
The last year has shown us that we need to think differently on Security. If we are creating a life-critical device for e.g. hospitals, it should be pretty clear that we need to think security. However, less “important” devices , like e.g. toys and home appliances may be used in “botnets”. Thus we have an ethical responsibility. The economic argument: it can hurt our brand, even if it doesn’t inhibit our application.
Finally, “Industry 4.0” is gearing up. Instead of starting from scratch, we can learn a lot from the existing Statistical Process Control. Much of this happens as post-processing on PC’s today, but it will move closer to the assembly-line.
“Embedded Software for the IoT” provides an overview of the above domains. It also introduces some of the major tools and how to use them. With this overview you are armed to go searching for the details on the internet.
There are now four editions:
- The new second edition 320 pages paperback. Amazon.com price is 19.95$.
- The above as e-book – priced at 5.99$
- The first edition 220 pages paperback – now priced at 14.99$ .
- The first edition kindle version: 2.99$ -free if the paperback is bought first.
This price is the lowest possible on Amazon!
Prices at other Amazon sites matches the above.
See the Amazon links in the top menu.
Creating an e-book version of a Text-Book is a number of compromises. The first version is created as a “real” free-flowing e-book. The second is created as a “Print-Replica”. The latter does not give the user the ability to choose various font-parameters, but preserves layout, math-formulas etc. better.
New with the Second Edition
- More content. Nearly 50% more pages. Most of the old chapters are heavily updated.
- New Introduction to the Internet, Cloud, Industry 4.0 etc. (included in PDF)
- New chapter on Internet Security (see also blog post: Ransomware again)
- New chapter on Statistical Process Control (relates to “Industry 4.0”)
- Many new figures
- Improved readability of the many Wireshark captures
Please see Table of Contents for more information.
Ordering on Amazon
- Australia: http://amazon.com.au/dp/1545526036
- Brazil: https://amazon.com.br/dp/1545526036
- Canada: https://amazon.ca/dp/1545526036
- China: https://amazon.cn/dp/1545526036
- France: https://amazon.fr/dp/1545526036
- Germany: https://amazon.de/dp/1545526036
- India: https://amazon.in/dp/1545526036
- Italy: https://amazon.it/dp/1545526036
- Japan: https://amazon.co.jp/dp/1545526036
- Mexico: https://amazon.com.mx/dp/1545526036
- Spain: https://amazon.es/dp/1545526036
- UK: https://amazon.co.uk/dp/1545526036
- US: https://amazon.com/dp/1545526036